1. Rep:

Re: Question about Interstella 5555

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    Aero made a good point about Stella's design choice.

Matsumoto's leading females all have a certain look to them. If I remember correctly, his inspiration for his female characters came from certain actresses of the time (Marianne Hold especially - his favorite actress).

Another inspiration was from an old photograph of Takako Mise (below on the right), the granddaughter of the first European to teach medicine in Japan.

There's a really great essay by Leiji that talks about the influence of these women and others on his art.

Here's the link!
    Last edited by CherieD'Amoure; 2nd Nov 2016 at 23:37. Reason: added pic
    Musical Mod
    "No art is so subject to indiscriminate judgement as music." - Johann Joachim Quantz

2. Like DJ_Sam_909 likes this post
  3. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Sam_909 View Post
    To everyone that responds to a theory with "you're reading too much into it," you guys don't know fun. Open your imaginations and live a little!
    Facts trump theories. What I'm stating are facts. Theories do not apply here, because there aren't any to begin with.

EDIT: Damsel was a poor choice of word, on my part. What I mean are his female protagonists in general.

And Baryl is yet another stock character design by Matsumoto. He's not meant to represent anybody but the comic relief of the group.
    Last edited by Aero5555; 3rd Nov 2016 at 00:18.

4. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by CherieD'Amoure View Post
    Many thanks for this. Great insight I didn't know about until now.

5. Like CherieD'Amoure likes this post
  6. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by Aero5555 View Post
    Facts trump theories. What I'm stating are facts. Theories do not apply here, because there aren't any to begin with.
    I echo my earlier statement: you don't know fun. Theories are the heart of a fandom and this is literally a thread regarding one such fan theory.

Get on outta here with your 'facts', fool.
    Last edited by DJ_Sam_909; 15th Nov 2016 at 15:37.

Soundcloud
    R.I.P Romanthony, we will never forget you

7. Like piroteki likes this post
  8. Rep:

You don't know fun. Theories are the heart of a fandom and this is literally a thread regarding one such fan theory.
    Trump won. That's an example of a reality that destroys theories. Nobody here is talking outta their ass when they're here to state recorded statements made by the people behind the work on discussion. deal with it.

Get on outta here with your 'facts', fool.
    I see mod standards have gone up since I stepped down.

Aside from the 'fact' that you should mind your language, say another word towards me like that and I promise you you'll get demoted. Here or anywhere.

9. Rep:

Trump won. That's an example of a reality that destroys theories. Nobody here is talking outta their ass when they're here to state recorded statements made by the people behind the work on discussion. deal with it.
    All art is free to be interpreted by the audience. I'm sorry, but I just really hate this objective outlook when art is - and has always been - subjective.

I see mod standards have gone up since I stepped down.

Aside from the 'fact' that you should mind your language, say another word towards me like that and I promise you you'll get demoted. Here or anywhere.
    My intention wasn't to alienate you, it was merely meant in jest. I apologise for how it came across. However, I don't appreciate your threat. If you have a problem with me, you either report my post or you PM another mod whom you trust to discuss the issue.

Don't speak to me like I'm a child.

Soundcloud
    R.I.P Romanthony, we will never forget you

10. Like piroteki likes this post
  11. Rep:

If you have a problem with me, you either report my post or you PM another mod whom you trust to discuss the issue.
    I said "another word". Next time, it won't go this way.

Don't speak to me like I'm a child.
    Then don't type like one.

12. Rep:

Aero, you're honestly being a jerk at this point. Just leave Sam alone. This was a thread made for curiosity and fun, not for how you once reigned supreme in kicking anyone out that had any slight objections against you. Now THAT's acting like a child.

13. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by HunterTech View Post
    This was a thread made for curiosity and fun, not for how you once reigned supreme in kicking anyone out that had any slight objections against you.
    Again with this BS. Objections? a mod is giving personal jabs like a child, something Spud or any of the mod team would condemn. I don't wanna get into how I held back on personal attacks against me regarding my faith back when I was a mod. (and honestly, I laugh at those times now. It's the internet. Words on a screen. Who cares?)

If you're a moderator, you represent the legitimacy of the organization you're modding. Hence, being objective and not typing away as if you're the bully of the playground.

And just because you brought it up, I did not ban but one user. And only after consulting with the mod team. Please do not paint my time on here as a supremacist Nazi. That is contrary to what vets will say. Nobody can touch my record, so please stay out of it.

Sam attacked me, not the other way around. And all I did was re-assure him that I let this one pass.
    Last edited by Aero5555; 16th Nov 2016 at 08:42.

14. Rep:

Now that you mention it, I kind of wonder that with the Earl de Darkwood being heavily based on Swan from Phantom of the Paradise (one of Thomas and Guy-Man's favorite movies,) if Stella is based somewhat on Phoenix, the heroine of that movie. Swan takes Phoenix under his wing (no pun intended) after a mishap with his band the Juicy Fruits (a 3-man group,) and turns her into a star. But he exploits her, turns her into a drug addict, and eventually tries to murder her during a concert. Her savior is the Phantom, who is also secretly in love with her, who sacrifices himself to save her (sorry for the spoiler.)

Similarly Stella is singled out after Arpegius, Octave and Baryl escape during the concert. He exploits her by continuing to control her mind. Later on Darkwood tries to kill Stella with the gold record machine. Shep rescues them all, sacrificing himself in the process, and he is also secretly in love with Stella.There are a lot of parallels here that might be intentional. Not sure though. I also thought Baryl was sort of meant to resemble Guy-Man because he, too, is tiny and goofy, lol.
    Last edited by ifcwdjd; 16th Nov 2016 at 12:16.

15. Like CherieD'Amoure, DJ_Sam_909 likes this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast