1. Rep:

Re: Question about Interstella 5555

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ifcwdjd View Post
    Now that you mention it, I kind of wonder that with the Earl de Darkwood being heavily based on Swan from Phantom of the Paradise (one of Thomas and Guy-Man's favorite movies,) if Stella is based somewhat on Phoenix, the heroine of that movie. Swan takes Phoenix under his wing (no pun intended) after a mishap with his band the Juicy Fruits (a 3-man group,) and turns her into a star. But he exploits her, turns her into a drug addict, and eventually tries to murder her during a concert. Her savior is the Phantom, who is also secretly in love with her, who sacrifices himself to save her (sorry for the spoiler.)

Similarly Stella is singled out after Arpegius, Octave and Baryl escape during the concert. He exploits her by continuing to control her mind. Later on Darkwood tries to kill Stella with the gold record machine. Shep rescues them all, sacrificing himself in the process, and he is also secretly in love with Stella.There are a lot of parallels here that might be intentional. Not sure though. I also thought Baryl was sort of meant to resemble Guy-Man because he, too, is tiny and goofy, lol.
    Wow, that's actually a really good theory of Interstella.
    Note that sacrifice is a common factor of things made by Matsumoto Reiji. I think Daft Punk wrote the plot and considered one thing that were common in Arcadia of My Youth (a show they watched when they were little that was made by Matsumoto Reiji), specifically speaking, sacrifice. But yeah, apart from that, you're totally right. Maybe they put the sacrifice element in the plot because there was sacrifice in both Arcadia of My Youth and Phantom of the Paradise.

Btw Aero and Sam, please calm down. Opinion should be respected here, no need to get worked up about anything. Maybe don't share anything that could be hurtful, no matter how much you want to say it. This is a haven of theory; please don't call each other children, threaten to ban each other from website, etc. Just be happy!!
    Try not to take this too personally, I don't want to start a flamewar over a flamewar >_<'

2. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by Aero5555 View Post
    Sam attacked me, not the other way around.
    Actually no, you took a post of mine that was directed at no one in particular and made it all about you. I attacked no one, I just like theories to flow freely in a fan community and as a mod, I feel it's my responsibility to ensure it does.

But whatever, I'm done with this conversation. Let's move on.

Soundcloud
    R.I.P Romanthony, we will never forget you

3. Rep:

I hate to be that guy, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuttttttttttttt.....

Here's a pic of the characters from the classic Leijiverse (we're talking when the duo were toddlers to 5-year-olds):

Red = Baryl .... Green = Stella ... Yellow = Arpegius

As for Octave. The duo idolize Hendrix, and made the production team adopt his look from Woodstock. Down to the headband.

Here's two more examples of Stella's "stock" physical characteristics. One from Captain Herlock (including a stock Arpegius), and the other from Battleship Yamato.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Sam_909 View Post
    I attacked no one, I just like theories to flow freely in a fan community and as a mod
    I'm sorry, but who called who a fool? Must've been me. My bad.

Peace out!
    Last edited by Aero5555; 16th Nov 2016 at 14:58.

4. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by notArpegius View Post
    Wow, that's actually a really good theory of Interstella.
    Note that sacrifice is a common factor of things made by Matsumoto Reiji. I think Daft Punk wrote the plot and considered one thing that were common in Arcadia of My Youth (a show they watched when they were little that was made by Matsumoto Reiji), specifically speaking, sacrifice. But yeah, apart from that, you're totally right. Maybe they put the sacrifice element in the plot because there was sacrifice in both Arcadia of My Youth and Phantom of the Paradise.
    I wasn't familiar with Arcadia of my Youth, but since looking it up there is a definite physical resemblance between the characters in the movie and in Interstella. There are several interviews where Thomas and Guy-Man talk about Captain Harlock (Albator in France,) and Cedric Hervet, who co-wrote Interstella with them was also a fan of these shows. So it's likely that Interstella is a tribute to Captain Harlock with a little bit of Phantom of the Paradise thrown in. I should really go back and re-read some of those interviews.

Here's an extra tidbit: there's this really bad 80's movie called Voyage of the Rock Aliens, and the alien band from that movie go around in a spaceship shaped like a guitar...

It reminded me instantly of Shep's spaceship. I wonder if this is where they got the idea or if it's just a coincidence? Probably just a coincidence.

5. Like notArpegius, CherieD'Amoure likes this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123