1. Rep:
    Question

Question about Interstella 5555

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    Hello fellow TheDaftClub Forum members! It's notArpegius here. (Get the pun)
    Today I have a question for all of you lovely people.
    So as you might've already figured, the semi-main characters of Interstella 5555 (animation by Daft Punk and Matsumoto Reiji) are a band, consisting of four members. A theory has been brought up several time on this forum, stating that three members of the band are meant resemble:

Arpegius (guitarist) = Thomas Bangalter
    Baryl (drummer) = Guy-Man
    Octave (vocalist/keyboardist) = Anthony Moore "Romanthony"

So yeah. I mean it could've been entirely coincidental but I find that unlikely, especially since I have seen no Lejiverse character that looks similar to Octave. Also in HAA + RAM music videos, Bangalter is portrayed on the guitar and Guy is on the drums.
    My question is: Who is the girl of the band (from the animation feature) meant to resemble??

Thanks so much for your time!!
    ~ notArpegius

2. Rep:

Re: Question about Interstella 5555

It's Busy P

Look at that hair and tell me you don't see a resemblance.
    Last edited by DJ_Sam_909; 30th Oct 2016 at 14:21.

Soundcloud
    R.I.P Romanthony, we will never forget you

3. Like notArpegius, Baconboy, That guy likes this post
  4. Rep:

Nah, I think they're just characters that Leiji made up. There might have been some slight intentional resemblance but I don't think they were supposed to resemble any specific person. Interesting theory however.

5. Like Baconboy likes this post
  6. Rep:

It's doesn't really fit Thomas and Guy-Man because Thomas usually handles the drums or drum machines (check out his song Spinal Beats or look at the Mayan club video) and Guy-Man handles the melody, guitar, crap (look at the Le Knight Club stuff, it's pretty groovy) but then again Thomas and Guy-Man has been using the guitar and drums in Robot Rock and Get Lucky respectively

7. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by That guy View Post
    It's doesn't really fit Thomas and Guy-Man because Thomas usually handles the drums or drum machines (check out his song Spinal Beats or look at the Mayan club video) and Guy-Man handles the melody, guitar, crap (look at the Le Knight Club stuff, it's pretty groovy) but then again Thomas and Guy-Man has been using the guitar and drums in Robot Rock and Get Lucky respectively
    And in "Television Rule the Nation" and almost every promo pic from Human After All.

Sig made by AndySocks from Reddit

8. Rep:

People are still reading into this? The band is a take on influential artists that Daft have one way or another paid tribute to during their career (Jimi Hendrix being referenced during promos of Discovery, Octave resembling him. And that's where the headbands come from).

While Stella is the trademark damsel of Matsumoto's works. Most physical attributes about her resemble every other female designed by him during his past and present works. Case in point, Queen Esmeraldas and Maetel.

9. Like CherieD'Amoure likes this post
  10. Rep:

Please note that some of the things I wrote might be biased. Also this is just a theory so please don't get wound up over me "reading too far into it" or anything

Quote Originally Posted by Baconboy View Post
    And in "Television Rule the Nation" and almost every promo pic from Human After All.
    That's my point. I am aware of the fact that Thomas and Guy actually do different stuff than what they appear to do in their music videos.
    As stated by That guy,
    Thomas and Guy-Man have been using the guitar and drums in Robot Rock and Get Lucky
    Don't forget that Interstella's a bunch of music videos, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Aero5555 View Post
    While Stella is the trademark damsel of Matsumoto's works. Most physical attributes about her resemble every other female designed by him during his past and present works. Case in point, Queen Esmeraldas and Maetel.
    "Damsel"? I wouldn't go as far to say that. I'm pretty sure that Emeraldas and Maetel are quite old.
    (The definition of "damsel" is a young woman right. I didn't know what it meant so I searched it in the dictionary, please correct me if I am wrong though)

11. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by notArpegius View Post
    Please note that some of the things I wrote might be biased. Also this is just a theory so please don't get wound up over me "reading too far into it" or anything
    To everyone that responds to a theory with "you're reading too much into it," you guys don't know fun. Open your imaginations and live a little!

Soundcloud
    R.I.P Romanthony, we will never forget you

12. Like notArpegius, Baconboy likes this post
  13. Super Moderator
    Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by notArpegius View Post
    "Damsel"? I wouldn't go as far to say that. I'm pretty sure that Emeraldas and Maetel are quite old.
    (The definition of "damsel" is a young woman right. I didn't know what it meant so I searched it in the dictionary, please correct me if I am wrong though)
    'damsel' is usually only used as a word when part of the phrase 'damsel in distress,' therefore, a damsel would be a young woman, seen as weak or fragile or easily upset, and one who is helpless and therefore needs to be saved by a stronger male figure. stella does need to be 'saved' twice, but the only time she's really a damsel in distress is during veridis quo iirc.
    "I love the sound of my speakers dying for the sake of my music."

14. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by digital*aria View Post
    'damsel' is usually only used as a word when part of the phrase 'damsel in distress,' therefore, a damsel would be a young woman, seen as weak or fragile or easily upset, and one who is helpless and therefore needs to be saved by a stronger male figure. stella does need to be 'saved' twice, but the only time she's really a damsel in distress is during veridis quo iirc.
    Yeah, I know that Stella could definitely be classified as a "damsel in distress", but there are these two character that was created by Matsumoto Reiji (the guy whose artstyle Interstella 5555 was animated in) called Maetel and Emeraldas, who are in no case damsels in distress. Maetel is a weak woman, but she doesn't need saving from anything.
    Emeraldas is not weak, and goes against the usual stereotype of women.
    That was the point I was trying to make :P

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast