1. Rep:

Re: Theory on Electroma and its failure

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Aero5555 View Post
    Pure crap. Just pointless.
    Woah there buddy.

The last scene where the robot walks burning till the end of his "life" is very meaningful and powerful as a standalone and also in the context of the whole movie. Same goes for the "toilet scene". One of my favourite scenes of all time and it's played by two faceless robots.

2. Rep:

in before mass flame war
    [Insert "[Insert Signature Here]" Signature Here]

3. Like M3311, digital*aria, Firefly likes this post
  4. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Woah there buddy.
    1. It's the internet.

2. It's an opinion on a movie.

3. I've seen and heard enough death and destruction to laugh at the idea of robots looking for an identity. Wall-E had a more meaningful message than this.

If you're curious about #3... Friend of mine lost his house, belongings, live savings, and his cousin thanks to Assad. He's from Aleppo.

Now, look at the bigger picture and stop wasting time calling out a wall of text on an internet forum about a piece of entertainment.

5. Like PuddingCat likes this post
  6. Rep:

It is his opinion. One man's Citizen Kane is another man's Birdemic. I wasn't big on Electroma either. Dull art film.

7. mama p -- admin
    Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by something awesome View Post
    How was it a failure?! It's a cult success! It held midnight screenings for months after release! It warranted an anniversary re-release .. In my view one of the strongest pieces from their body of work. It's far from a failure.
    i think the cult aspect of it is around Daft Punk themselves, rather than the film. idk i don't hate the movie, but i don't think it's the best thing ever either. if it wasn't associated with Daft Punk, i'd be pretty meh, i think, and i imagine i'm not alone in thinking so.
    ~僕は素晴らしいロボット~

11.11.2006・ALIVE・2007.08.09
    last.fm||tumblr

8. Like M3311, melrobin, notArpegius, Firefly likes this post
  9. Rep:

@up

My thoughts exactly. This movie is pretty boring in the eyes of a casual viewer.

Now, look at the bigger picture and stop wasting time calling out a wall of text on an internet forum about a piece of entertainment.
    Thank you very much, but I'll do whatever the hell I want with my free time.
    You stated your opinion, I stated mine. There's no reason to lecture me.

10. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by piroteki View Post
    If it wasn't associated with Daft Punk, i'd be pretty meh, i think, and i imagine i'm not alone in thinking so.
    On that note, lemme say this. Daft Punk or not, it's crap. People walked out for a reason.

"Doesn't require your brain to function." is the best thing Thomas could come up with. Really, Tom? Lemme just look at a blank screen then. Same value, to me atleast.

11. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by mezchez View Post
    What I would have done is advertise it a Guy and Thomas film, since there is no relevance to Daft Punk (other than the helmets but even then that wasn't the main thing about the plot or design of the film) Daft Punk could make soundtracks and advertise it as daft punk but also say "...Soundtrack for a film by Guy and Thomas"
    I think the reason why they advertised it as a Daft Punk film is because it was a project they worked on together. I don't recall if Thomas and Guy-Man have ever been labeled as anything other than Daft Punk when it's been both of them working on something. When they work separately, they do so under their own names (except when Guy-Man works in Le Knight Club or something like that.)

I don't know, I've always really loved Electroma. It was one of the first Daft Punk things I watched, and I still have an affinity for it after seven years of being a fan. The film's taken me on some amazing journeys, which has made me love it even more. I've analyzed it many times, looked for meaning behind the music and images, but I've found I enjoy it most just viscerally, watching it for the experience, the scenery and the emotion (no pun intended.)

Thomas and Guy-Man were very aware that Electroma wasn't what people expected (or wanted) from them. Thomas said in a 2008 interview: "When we were conceiving Electroma, we knew it was not specifically an entertaining experience on the first viewing. We were thinking more of the long-term effect that the images would have." Guy-Man added: "Electroma was an attempt to break the formula that is everywhere now in cinema. Watching movies today is very passive experience. A lot happens on the screen, but as soon as you walk out, you don't remember anything. Most of the big blockbusters are like that - the more I watch them, the faster I forget them. Electroma is maybe too artsy for some, but when you get into it, you have more of an active response."

I don't really believe they set out to make something with the intention of disappointing people. They started with one thing, which turned into something different, and they just went with it and saw it through to the end. It's not perfect, probably not even a great film, but they were happy with the final product. And people are still talking about it, even if to say "what the heck was that all about?"

12. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by ifcwdjd View Post
    "A lot happens on the screen, but as soon as you walk out, you don't remember anything. Most of the big blockbusters are like that - the more I watch them, the faster I forget them. Electroma is maybe too artsy for some, but when you get into it, you have more of an active response."
    lol. Oh, Guy-Man. Padding like no tomorrow.

13. Rep:

lol. Oh, Guy-Man. Padding like no tomorrow.
    I was trying to defend you because I agreed, it was your opinion on a film and people shouldn't be getting mad over what someone thinks of a movie.

But you're saying it as if the movie being crap is a fact.

Which is ridiculous. Cinema is an art form, and like all art, it is completely subjective.

So please get off your high horse and quit contradicting yourself. You seem to be the one getting mad over an opinion on the internet.

And yes, I'm no moderator, but you're starting to make me a little peeved as well. I would like to add that you used to be a moderator, correct? Just remember that now.

Peace.

14. Like M3311, DJ_Sam_909, piroteki likes this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast