1. Rep:

Theory on Electroma and its failure

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    Well, not "failure" but disappointment.

Anyway, I think the disappointment comes from that they advertised this as a daft punk film, daft punk makes music, so some people might have thought of this as another Interstella 5555 type of movie. (The soundtrack gimmick with no dialogue just music).

What I would have done is advertise it a Guy and Thomas film, since there is no relevance to Daft Punk (other than the helmets but even then that wasn't the main thing about the plot or design of the film) Daft Punk could make soundtracks and advertise it as daft punk but also say "...Soundtrack for a film by Guy and Thomas"

Basically, they should have made it look like a side project so people didn't have high hopes and realise this won't be another Interstella 5555

2. Like Imaze likes this post
  3. Rep:

Re: Theory on Electroma and its failure

I agree, Interstella 5555 was a great movie. It was fast-paced, and was a fusion of multiple movie genres (sci-fi, romance, action/ adventure, musical, etc). It also included Discovery album as the movie soundtrack. For a Daft Punk fan, it is hard to be bored of Interstella 5555.

Electroma, on the other hand, was not what DP fans were expecting. Although it was centered around Daft Punk, it was a veeeery slow movie. And as you pointed out, it did not contain any songs from Daft Punk. I agree, they probably should've advertised it in a way that made it clear that the movie just STARRED Daft Punk and there wasn't actually any MUSIC from them.

So yeah!! Good theory you've got there

4. Rep:

How was it a failure?! It's a cult success! It held midnight screenings for months after release! It warranted an anniversary re-release .. In my view one of the strongest pieces from their body of work. It's far from a failure.

Wee Waa
    Random Access Memories - Worldwide Album Launch

5. Like Firefly, melrobin likes this post
  6. Rep:

The intro scene of Electroma was initially intended as the music video of "Human After All". an old YouTube video proved this, sync'ing the track with the scene until right before the duo reach the town.

I guess Thomas and/or Guy-Man just winged it on the spot and decided to make a movie out of it, which explains why "HAA" never got a music video.

Ergo, it was never planned out, simply improvised. And this is the complete opposite of how Interstella's conception went (the duo recorded "Too Long", then thought up a story to link their next LP with cinema. Read the booklet that came with the deluxe edition of the Interstella DVD. Basically, the album aside from "Too Long" was composed with the story of Interstella written side by side).

This isn't surprising. Thomas did state that the duo were *seduced* with the idea of doing the exact opposite of Discovery as their next project. And the Alive 2006 tour came to be after they directed the "Technologic" music video.

"We thought it'd be funny to have ourselves in the pyramid instead of the doll." - Guy-Man

7. Rep:

"How was it a failure?! It's a cult success! It held midnight screenings for months after release! It warranted an anniversary re-release .. In my view one of the strongest pieces from their body of work. It's far from a failure."

I met many people who disliked the film.

"The intro scene of Electroma was initially intended as the music video of "Human After All". an old YouTube video proved this, sync'ing the track with the scene until right before the duo reach the town. "

I didnt know that. Thats interesting.

8. Like notArpegius likes this post
  9. Rep:

I agree, at first I thought the movie had Daft Punk music, so it kinda disappointed me a little bit, still liked the movie tho.

10. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by Aero5555 View Post
    The intro scene of Electroma was initially intended as the music video of "Human After All". an old YouTube video proved this, sync'ing the track with the scene until right before the duo reach the town.

I guess Thomas and/or Guy-Man just winged it on the spot and decided to make a movie out of it, which explains why "HAA" never got a music video.

Ergo, it was never planned out, simply improvised. And this is the complete opposite of how Interstella's conception went (the duo recorded "Too Long", then thought up a story to link their next LP with cinema. Read the booklet that came with the deluxe edition of the Interstella DVD. Basically, the album aside from "Too Long" was composed with the story of Interstella written side by side).

This isn't surprising. Thomas did state that the duo were *seduced* with the idea of doing the exact opposite of Discovery as their next project. And the Alive 2006 tour came to be after they directed the "Technologic" music video.

"We thought it'd be funny to have ourselves in the pyramid instead of the doll." - Guy-Man
    It was not winged on the spot... And HAA does not cut to the music in the actual film cut, only the youtube video that circualted where someone re-edited the film to the music.
    However it is true the first act of the film was intended as a music video but then during editing they decided to expand it into a film and wrote, storyboarded and went and finished the second and third acts.

Wee Waa
    Random Access Memories - Worldwide Album Launch

11. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by something awesome View Post
    However it is true the first act of the film was intended as a music video but then during editing they decided to expand it into a film and wrote, storyboarded and went and finished the second and third acts.
    In other words, winged it.

12. Like mezchez likes this post
  13. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by mezchez View Post
    I met many people who disliked the film.
    That doesn't make it failure, you know? Many people don't like HAA at all and I consider it as one of the most important electronic album of this century.

For the record, I didn't enjoy watching Electroma so much either, but I appreciate it and it's message. I always thought that it could go well with HAA side-by-side. In fact, I even made some short edit of Electroma with Daft Punk music on top of it myself and only then I showed it to my friends. They kinda like it now, but I can't imagine anyone besides Daft Punk fans watching two hours long movie like this one.

14. Like DJ_Sam_909, piroteki, CherieD'Amoure likes this post
  15. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I can't imagine anyone besides Daft Punk fans watching two hours long movie like this one.
    I'm a diehard for 13 years now, and I barely stomached it. Just wanted to say "I saw it." (like how I played MGS Revengence just to say "I played and finished it.").

I don't see a message (and the one that people connect to it isn't innovative or new), the cinematography was amateurish, the music sucked, and the ending scenes were nonsensical (though it did make me laugh).

Pure crap. Just pointless. They can do whatever they want, but it's regretful they went that way with it. Wish it remained an "HAA" project.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast