1. Rep:

Re: This Should've Been Disclosed

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    Some additional info, I have the Firefox private browsing analytics tool on, and it says nine ad agencies are requesting to track me whenever the pop-ups are in the period of activation (as I'm clicking when I first visit the site after logging out).

After about five pop-ups, the number of ad agencies reported goes down to four and stays like that til I close the browser.

2. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by Aero5555 View Post
    It's the website. Period. Have a gander at it if you want. Though I have a feeling I'll keep getting this "It's your fault" vibe until someone else confirms it lol. Suit yourselves.
    There is no "it's your fault" vibe here, that's all in your head. We only suggested you scan your system to diagnose whether the problem was with the forum or with your computer, and also to make sure you didn't have an infection lurking on your system. Now that you've run the scan and come up with nothing, as well as run the analytical program, yes, we can assume the problem is with the forum. And you aren't the only one, another person claimed this was happening to them too.

I don't think there's anything we can do, though. Spud's the only one with control over the forum, but if the service host is the one placing all of these ads and doesn't have a way to opt out, there's probably not a lot he can do either. But it looks like you've already found the solution: the pop ups don't show up when you're logged in. So why don't you just stay logged in? If you check the "remember me box," you'll never be logged out. But if you want to continue to lurk as a guest and get these pop ups, to each his own.

3. Like CherieD'Amoure, piroteki likes this post
  4. Founder of The Daft Club
    Rep:

Hi everyone - just to chime in here. These popups are NOT part of our normal service. We do run ads, but these are only the banners you see on the standard pages. We do not have popups enabled in any way.

I am investigating as we speak, and currently I am looking into potential security failings. I will report back with an update asap.

Thanks for alerting us to the situation Aero.
    "It's Daft Punk's world. We Just live in it"

Daft Punk - My Favourite | Hire Me to make a website

5. Founder of The Daft Club
    Rep:

So, I have an update for you. It seems this was a security issue, one of the plugins in use on the Wordpress portion of the site had been compromised and hackers were able to inject some code that randomly displayed the popups. I have now updated the offending plugin and removed the code and the issue has stopped.

To put everyone's mind at rest I do not believe any user details have been compromised, and the attack was seemingly unconnected from the forum (despite the popups appearing sitewide).

If anyone does spot any more popups please alert us via this thread immediately and we'll look into it again.

Thanks again
    "It's Daft Punk's world. We Just live in it"

Daft Punk - My Favourite | Hire Me to make a website

6. Like Sandisk1duo, ifcwdjd likes this post
  7. Rep:

Just confirming that they're indeed gone. Sorry I jumped the gun and assumed it was something the webhost had actually planned for. Didn't think mom's basement types cared enough to inject malicious code. Thanks.

8. Rep:

It's happened again. Pop-ups whenever browsing the forum.

Needs another fix, I guess.

9. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by Aero5555 View Post
    It's happened again. Pop-ups whenever browsing the forum.

Needs another fix, I guess.
    Because that'll probably be a while... Adblock works pretty well in the meantime. I'm getting nothing when I browse the site. It's clean.

Thank you, Adblock

Soundcloud
    R.I.P Romanthony, we will never forget you

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12