1. Rep:

IFIC/Grammys Costume

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    Hey all,

More of a minor thread, just wanted to talk about the costumes from the IFIC music video and the Grammy performance, or more specifically, the changes between them.
    I take it we've both seen both performances by the robots, but has any else picked up on the lack of Daft Circuitry on their robes?

Grammys:
    (credit: Rolling Stone)

IFIC:

(Credit: D4Funk97)

To me, it looks their overcoat (with the circuitry in the Grammy's costume) is missing in the IFIC video. In saying that, it looks like their midcoat (with the elongated weird button clasp-esque) is acting as the overcoat in IFIC, and also sports the high, folded collar, like their overcoat in Grammy's costume.
    Possibly not happy with how monotone the outfit was so they cut the overcoat down to be the midcoat for Grammy's, and cut a new coat with a high, folded collar and added the circuitry trim?
    Another thing making me think this is in the BTS IFIC shot, you can see the coat (with the elongated.. things) open, and their necklaces hanging down the center of a black top/jacket - not over the midcoat (with the elongated...things) like in the Grammy's costume.

Also, I noticed TK9336 and others talking about making this costume, and the method of the circuitry/trim. Has anyone made any progress on this? I'm sticking by 3d screenprinting, just by looking at the depth of the pattern in some photos.

2. Rep:

Re: IFIC/Grammys Costume

Their robes during the Grammies is a spin on the Bisht. a traditional cloak-like robe that originated in the Middle East, is especially popular in the Gulf region, and is worn during special occasions (the majority are obligated to wear it at certain weddings. Especially your own.)

Take the gold~ish lining and have fun tailoring it as you wish. BTW, ME Social Media that follows musical happenings have already commented on the bishts worn by them that night, customized or not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisht_(clothing)

https://www.google.com/search?q=%D8%...w=1366&bih=604

3. mama p -- admin
    Rep:

personally i don't really see the connection to bisht. it looks much more like a structured/tailored western coat, since bisht seems less-structured and more flowing. (it feels much closer to a draped kimono than what Daft Punk are wearing here.) the lack of the collar on the bisht, but presence in the Daft outfits also seems significant.
    ~僕は素晴らしいロボット~

11.11.2006・ALIVE・2007.08.09
    last.fm||tumblr

4. Like something awesome, john_marston likes this post
  5. Rep:

Anyone considered making a replica?

6. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by fixedgerald View Post
    Anyone considered making a replica?
    I'm considering modifying a long blazer and having a cloak tailored for an upcoming convention. These costumes seem simple, yet the more I look into it I feel it's difficult to pull off correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by axelF View Post
    I let the rubberband do the magic.

7. Rep:

I'm honestly so tempted to do one, however I so do not have the funds for it - and I still have to finish my updated Kylo, and get my TIDAL outfit finished. Jeeze, I let that one really slideeee.

8. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by Aero5555 View Post
    Their robes during the Grammies is a spin on the Bisht. a traditional cloak-like robe that originated in the Middle East, is especially popular in the Gulf region, and is worn during special occasions (the majority are obligated to wear it at certain weddings. Especially your own.)

Take the gold~ish lining and have fun tailoring it as you wish. BTW, ME Social Media that follows musical happenings have already commented on the bishts worn by them that night, customized or not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisht_(clothing)

https://www.google.com/search?q=%D8%...w=1366&bih=604
    Nah, the slight resemblance is just a coincidence I think.

Anyone else prefer the more minimalistic IFIC version? I really like the contrast the gold and silver has with the basic black. As opposed to having the whole garment blinged out akin to the Grammys ones.

9. Rep:

Personally, I like the accent the Grammy costumes have. Also, I'm a touch surprised it's not the other way round. I mean I know they weren't filming on location, fake snow and all - but for me it would make more sense to have more layers in the video than the grammys. Wonder what made them switch it up?

10. Rep:

I really think they designed the Starboy/Grammies outfits first, and then change them and make the IFIC Video version. I don't know why they made two versions though.

11. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by dejordzta View Post
    Personally, I like the accent the Grammy costumes have. Also, I'm a touch surprised it's not the other way round. I mean I know they weren't filming on location, fake snow and all - but for me it would make more sense to have more layers in the video than the grammys. Wonder what made them switch it up?
    Layers? What are you talking about, they're robots

12. Like dejordzta likes this post