1. Smile

In search of Guy Manuel Visor. Thanks!

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    Hello there Everyone!

This is my first post.... sorry if it's in the wrong place?

I'm a long time Daft punk fan.. and have been browsing these forums for a few years... (completely as a spectator without having an account lol)

I'm new to forums... in general... including this one, so forgive my poor etiquette... or general newbiness.

So - Long story short.

I've created a Guy manuel helmet from a pepakura file, using a laser cutter and some 6 ply at the sign shop where I work.

he model came out great so using fiberglass and bondo I got it to the point that I could paint it!

I even laser cut the little inner ear pieces out of acrylic and vinyl wrapped them, so that when I get to the stage of electronics, you'll be able to see the light through the ear pucks.

HOWEVER - I've hit a huge roadblock.

I do not currently have the funds, or tools to build a vacuum forming machine.

I Have EVERYTHING setup... I even have the master mold of the visor... that's made from bondo and fiberglass... but I tried doing everything with a very poorly made vacuum form box and an old oven that is outside and not used for food...

Unfortunately for various reasons, I failed (( Having loved daft punk my whole life.

(I discovered them in Grade school, and am now a 23 year old graphic designer with basically an obsession xD haha)

I've ALWAYS wanted a Guy manuel helmet.. but always told myself I'd never be able to have one.

BUT I'm tired of telling myself stupid things like that.. and I just kind of wanted this to be a project where I would push myself to finish it no matter what.

I'm looking to see if there's anyone who would be willing to sell or help in producing the standalone visor for a Guy man helmet.

I could use a torch or heat gun to make the helmet... or even the visor malleable.. so that it would fit... even if the visor is not an EXACT match...

But at this point I'm at my wits end and was a little heart broken when the Visor I tried utterly failed.

If there is no one willing to sell / have any options for me, I guess I'll figure something out.. .I just thought it would be good to reach out to other Daft punk fanatics and see if there are any other pros who could help a noob helmet maker out.

Thanks in advance!!

2. Rep:

Re: In search of Guy Manuel Visor. Thanks!

The thing is, most guy man visors aren't cross compatible.
    I would try getting some sort of heater made so you could vacuum form the visor with the mold you have.

*not my video*

https://youtu.be/maH5Ech0wK8
    Last edited by Sandisk1duo; 24th Mar 2017 at 07:26.
    Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexPlusLEDs
    LED kits for sale: http://alexplusleds.com/

3. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by Sandisk1duo View Post
    The thing is, most guy man visors aren't cross compatible.
    I would try getting some sort of heater made so you could vacuum form the visor with the mold you have.

*not my video*

https://youtu.be/maH5Ech0wK8

Yeah!
    I actually contacted 6 different prop builders!

All of which had different sized visors ... (obviously because they're all using different casts)

I just thought I'd be able to get one that was CLOOOOSE enough that I could cut it with a dremel and sand / warp it with a heat gun.

One guy suggested that vacuum forming was antiquated and said that he slush casts his visor with clear liquid plastic... his visors come out "thicker, and way more consistent"

Another added benefit is that he adds dye whilst making them, instead of having to vacuum form them.. and therefore shaves off the additional step of having to dye them after they are formed.

I ended up building a Mickey-Rigged Vacuum form box that actually ended up working Ok.

I have a friend with an Old oven that was salvaged which we used outdoors and I built the vacuum form frame / box from spare wood lying around.

4. Rep:

Hey thanks for your reply!

I ended up having to build a Poor man's Vacuum form rig.

I bought one piece of Pet G that wasn't QUIIITE big enough... so it got trashed... but I was able to salvage a pice of it for my Thomas visor... (i simply laser cut it and warped it with a heat gun)

I ended up building a revised version of the vacuum form box (with improvements) and a larger piece of PetG 1/6"

And Viola - it worked....
    Not as good as your Super ANAL daft punk fan's fully chromed build with ridiculous attention to detail... but pretty damn good... and better than a Salad bowl! - although some guy on youtube made his look pretty decent doing just that lol...

5. Rep:

hey welcome to the daft club
    good luck with your helmet!
    I've always wanted a helmet too but never had the materials or money to do it
    i would love to see pics of it when you are finished

6. Rep:

Basically Done with the Helmet... I built the Helmet FROM SCRATCH, using Pepakura, bondo and fiberglass... and also did the wiring and assembly of all the LEDS myself..
    The Leds, are in a standalone REMOVABLE Lighting Rig... that is mounted with Heavy duty Velcro, and secured within the visor with styrene edges I built to hold it in place... The idea was to be able to remove the leds in case I didn't want to lug the electronics around at conventions, or if I'm DJ'ing...

I'm pretty proud of it!

Programming was done by a friend, who I've credited in another post...