1. Rep:

My New Lid - Artyom Guy-Man and a Possible IFIC Outfit

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    It's been a while since I've worked on a Daft Punk helmet and now that I make some extra cash I decided to fix that. So I went out and got a new Guy-Man helmet, this time by Artyom. My old Guy helmet was made by Beastman/Moguai and it has honestly seen its days. It slightly warped during its painting process and the paper-thin visor took so much abuse over the years, so unfortunately I had no choice but to retire that lid. It's a great display piece though and I learned a lot from that build nearly 6 years ago.

A couple weeks ago this little guy came to my door

I've heard a lot of great things about Artyom's lids over the years and I'd like to add my support as well. I always believed his Guy sculpt was one of the more accurate RAM models on the market and seeing it up close really settled that for me. The visor itself it pretty durable (I'm not used to a visor you can actually knock on!) and visibility is slightly hazy, but nothing bad.

(Also got some gloves!!!)

I wasn't sure how it would fit, I know Beastman's are a perfect fit for someone of my height and build, but apparently this one is near perfect as well! Perfect for anyone 5'7"+ and around 130lb+.

Not sure if you guys recall, but I also own a Volpin Thomas lid. To me it's still the most accurate Thomas helmet out there and I'm very proud to have one for myself. I had to spray paint it......

..........for a last minute appearance a couple years back (Independence High School is the FIRST band program to incorporate DAFT PUNK into a live PERCUSSION SHOW of any kind). Honestly it was so fun to play these guys in official CCGC competition. We named our show "Space Contact" because it incorporated elements of The Planets (in case anyone here knows their classical music) and Daft Punk respectively. Below is a picture of us accepting awards and everyone else being utterly confused.

I'm stripping the spray can paint off of Thomas and sending him along with Guy to Coat of Chrome once I receive my tax refund. In addition, I'm hoping to string together an I Feel It Coming costume in time for a local convention in late May. I will post pictures of this build if it indeed comes to fruition in time. If not, I will slowly progress it over the year so I can have a side hobby again.

That's about it for now! If you have any questions about anything feel free to leave them here.

Stay gold.
    Quote Originally Posted by axelF View Post
    I let the rubberband do the magic.

2. Rep:

Re: My New Lid - Artyom Guy-Man and a Possible IFIC Outfit

im quite interested in seeing the new costume. I would totally comission for one

3. Like Artyom likes this post
  4. Rep:

Thanks for the feedback and warm words man! Means a lot coming from you Good luck with your outfit )

5. Rep:

Hello, all! It took me nearly 7 years but I finally own a chromed helmet.

Beautiful.

This helmet was chromed by Don over at Coat of Chrome in Pennsylvania. I honestly cannot stress how much I recommend his work . $325 and about a 3 week process and now I have this eye candy. The only flaw in the helmet is the fact that it slightly warped on its left side where the visor goes, right before the top hook. I do not blame Don or the chroming process for this and I feel it was probably due to the heat and positioning during shipping. This can be fixed using heat, so I am not worried.

Still feeling myself.

On the flip side of this, Thomas was not shipped out along with Guy as I had hoped but this is okay. I stripped a good amount of the spray paint off of the cast using Easy Off (scent free) oven cleaner.

The stuff actually works well, took 95% of the paint off of my ear pucks on the first try. The helmet still needs another round or two of the oven cleaner though.

I expect Thomas to be shipped off for chrome in July and in the meantime I have found great clothing options to piece together a IFIC suit. The only issue I have come across is finding a suitable vest thing-a-ma-jig-er. If anyone has any recommendations it would be extremely helpful.

More progress to come!

Stay gold.

6. Rep:

THAT GM helmet looks near flawless! Wow.

Wee Waa
    Random Access Memories - Worldwide Album Launch

7. Rep:

[QUOTE =阿尔乔姆; 626559]感谢您的反馈和热情的话的人!意味着很多来自你的好运与你的衣服)[/ QUOTE]

I want to buy your helmet KIT, but I can not contact you. I'm going crazy:伤心:

8. Rep:

So while I was out at a sports bar downtown my Guy helmet apparently fell on its own (somehow????) at home and well...

I'm real heartbroken. The chassis cracked right down the middle on the chin. I was able to get it back together using JB Weld and some Krazy Glue, but unfortunately the chrome was already starting to chip away.

Guy is back in one-piece now, but the crack is noticeable, same with the paint scratches. I'm actually very upset and not quite sure what to do here.

First option would be to re-chrome it to cover the blemishes, though I'm not quite sure if I could get that for a discounted rate, might have to pay for a full job.

Second option is to sell it as it stands and use the money to fund another one. I feel like someone here would probably take it, though it is unfortunate I can't sell it for it's full potential value.

Kinda torn between ideas here guys. I'm leaning more towards re-chroming it since I got some sentimental value with the little guy. Has anyone else dealt with a problem like this? Anyone re-chromed before? Any advice would help. Thanks!

9. Rep:

I've never actually re-chromed a cracked helmet.
    There's really no reason to do that, you can just sell it at a discounted price.

In order to re-chrome, all the chrome has to be stripped off an re-done entirely.

Unless you don't want to re-prep another raw cast, leave it.

Most people who don't who have never seen a daft punk helmet will not really notice the crack at first glance, maybe after a couple of minutes, they would, but upon first glance they're usually taken aback.
    Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexPlusLEDs
    LED kits for sale: http://alexplusleds.com/

10. Rep:

I hate cracks. There is really no way to fix it. The money you'll put in to rechrome will probably be around what you put into chroming it in the first place. Sell it and hopefully get enough to get a new cast and some extra money for chrome.

Otherwise, JB is the way to go for sure.
    Remember, only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise... and many Bothans died to bring you this post! www.facebook.com/9336industries