1. Rep:
    Question

What's wrong with HAA?

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    Proper good album, better than RAM and slightly better than Discovery
    [Insert "[Insert Signature Here]" Signature Here]

2. Rep:

Re: What's wrong with HAA?

some people (like me) didnt think the style was pretty suitable. I liked the songs Technologic, TVRTN, Steam Machine but the rest were all "What?" to me.

when they stretch the music out (like HAA or Prime time of your Life) It seemed repetetive. TBH I think their title song HAA was a nod to Rock & Roll (which was repetetive too)

They even reuse samples such as the robotic "I"s & "Yeah"s in Technologic in Steam machine, Robot Rock & Emotion.
    When You're Listening to Alive 1997 on your stereo with the bass boosted

3. Rep:

Everyone has their favourites, so each to their own I guess. I prefer the Homework and Discovery albums, and such is the quality of those albums it was always going to be a huge challenge to follow that up.

HAA takes a different direction, but it's still a good album in its own right. 'Make Love' is a great track, and I quite like 'Prime Time Of Your Life' and 'Emotion'.

So yeah, I don't find anything 'wrong' with HAA per se, it just happened to follow two outstanding albums that raised the bar incredibly high.

4. Like DJ_Sam_909, melrobin likes this post
  5. Rep:

most of the tracks in HAA i like but its not as good as the other 3 albums. this album was made in like 2 weeks. robot rock is just the same sample loop with not that much variation. that is why i don't like it.

6. Rep:

I think the negativity stems from, besides the obvious "dirty" mastering and rushed production, how us fans were introduced to it at the time period right before it released.

Be the fan you are now, go back to January 2005, go to the music blog you usually check out, and see the leak posted in a zip file waiting for a download.

Coming from the high of Discovery and Interstella 5555, I was checking out said blog one January afternoon, and saw that very leak. "... Wha?? a fan album???". I google around and discover that they actually were working on new material, article circa November 2004 (there was no Wikipedia), and the album title remained unannounced. I immediately went to the blog and started the download, shaking in anticipation.

It was a hell of a wait. OGG files on a 56k connection. Finally, it downloaded. Burned it onto a CD, went to my room, played it on my hand-me-down stereo, hated every track, felt underwhelmed, and just turned it off after one complete listen. "So, this is how the Homework crowd reacted to Discovery. I finally understand."

Ripped music forums apart, looking for reactions to said leak (there was no social media, no YouTube, no TDC). The general consensus was that the leak was a fake or an early demo of what's to come. It couldn't be this repetitive while uncatchy, the boys are better than this.

Alas, the album released two months later, it flopped critically, and some even proclaimed it the death of Daft Punk. Only when Alive 2006 happened did the album's reception improve.

7. Like That guy likes this post
  8. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by Aero5555 View Post
    I think the negativity stems from, besides the obvious "dirty" mastering and rushed production, how us fans were introduced to it at the time period right before it released.

Be the fan you are now, go back to January 2005, go to the music blog you usually check out, and see the leak posted in a zip file waiting for a download.

Coming from the high of Discovery and Interstella 5555, I was checking out said blog one January afternoon, and saw that very leak. "... Wha?? a fan album???". I google around and discover that they actually were working on new material, article circa November 2004 (there was no Wikipedia), and the album title remained unannounced. I immediately went to the blog and started the download, shaking in anticipation.

It was a hell of a wait. OGG files on a 56k connection. Finally, it downloaded. Burned it onto a CD, went to my room, played it on my hand-me-down stereo, hated every track, felt underwhelmed, and just turned it off after one complete listen. "So, this is how the Homework crowd reacted to Discovery. I finally understand."

Ripped music forums apart, looking for reactions to said leak (there was no social media, no YouTube, no TDC). The general consensus was that the leak was a fake or an early demo of what's to come. It couldn't be this repetitive while uncatchy, the boys are better than this.

Alas, the album released two months later, it flopped critically, and some even proclaimed it the death of Daft Punk. Only when Alive 2006 happened did the album's reception improve.
    Huh I didn't know that people thought HAA was that bad then.

9. Rep:

a few examples of how the critical acclaim the Alive '06/'07 tour generated basically eradicated HAA's potential death sentence excuse:

"Daft Punk redemption" - The Star

https://www.thestar.com/entertainmen...edemption.html

"the Ultimate Daft Punk Mixtape. (HAA) constantly improved and born anew." - Pitchfork

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/10925-alive-2007/

10. Like Firefly likes this post
  11. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by Aero5555 View Post

Weird, Homework was really repetitive but it's considered a classic, although I will agree that HAA isn't as catchy as discovery.
    [Insert "[Insert Signature Here]" Signature Here]

12. Rep:

I think HAA shines in some ways and doesn't in others.

The album came after a constantly uphill period of time for them as musicians too.

Daft Punk had managed to capture the attention of hardcore music listeners as well as some commercial listeners. So the combination of both abrasiveness and some of their lazier work was a turn off for both crowds. Not to say all the album is bad, but the super overly repetitive nature of Robot Rock with a sample they didn't really do much to, to transform is easily one of the weakest moments in DP history imo.

Then you have songs like Prime Time of Your Life which while starting out fairly catchy, the second half is this huge noisey growing drone of sorts. Then you also have Steam Machine which uses fairly creepy whispering vocal samples, Emotion remaining one of their longest songs and the very minimal Make Love.

The reception based on the building levels of hype due to their streak of success previously to a project that would be too abrasive for some listeners, would turn off some more hardcore listeners and lastly, it is in addition to all this their shortest album by far.

I think looking back, I love the general sound of the album and some tracks really shine, but it's not too surprising imo that people weren't a fan. The album was made in six weeks, so it's obviously the least "perfectionist" moment in their career (even if the rough and quickly thrown together sound is what they were going for).

There's lots of rumors that the album's whole existence was a big screw you to their label so they could get out of their contract as well.

I think something that says a lot, is even if HAA was one of their weakest moments in some senses that it had such a major impact. Ed Banger's entire sound was heavily inspired by that album, it had a couple super memorable singles and it translated very well into Alive 2007. When your lows are that high, it certainly means something.
    Last edited by Jin; 16th May 2017 at 07:33.

13. Like That guy, Firefly, AYFX likes this post
  14. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by mezchez View Post
    Weird, Homework was really repetitive but it's considered a classic, although I will agree that HAA isn't as catchy as discovery.
    Homework (when it was released containing what is essentially a compilation of the duo's early works) revolutionized House music as an art, by taking the repetitive yet catchy sample structure popular among the cult fandom of said style, and made it mainstream. All other mainstream "House"-like tracks before it were either German techno/Eurodance in structure, or avoided an overly repetitive hook (e.g. "Nightcrawlers - Push The Feeling On").

HAA basically took Homework, removed the polish, and placed whatever idea they had for it through a blender first. The sound itself wasn't something new to excuse the repetitiveness. Especially since Homework did the same, but better.

And I don't think it was a message to the label, judging by what Thomas initially stated regarding the rushed production.

"We were definitely seduced by the idea of doing the opposite of Discovery." - Thomas Bangalter

15. Like Firefly likes this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast