1. Rep:

Nile Rodgers Confirms Work on New Chic Album? Will Include Daft Punk?

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    This tweet from a Gaga fanclub account just dropped. Says she also will be in it, along with Pharrell.

I dunno if it's legit or not, yet. Will dig for confirmation when I got the time.

https://twitter.com/WeeklyGaga/statu...09435031855104

2. Like Ridley likes this post
  3. Rep:

Re: Nile Rodgers Confirms Work on New Chic Album? Will Include Daft Pu

Here is the real source:
    http://www.thenational.ae/arts-life/...new-chic-album

He has confirmed before that the album is coming this year, and he talked about working with Daft Punk for this album back when RAM came out, so I guess it's happening.

4. Like DJ_Sam_909 likes this post
  5. Rep:

Nice. Doesn't mention the duo (directly) being collaborators there, but his quote on writing new music kinda seals it.

6. Rep:

I can't tell if Rodgers is mentioning his earlier collaboration on RAM with Daft Punk or if he's confirming that they've made new music for the record.... :/

I'm kind of craving some new content (dunno if that makes me selfish considering we technically just got Starboy and IFIC half a year ago) of some kind now that it's the beginning of summer and we aren't getting a tour.

Sig made by AndySocks from Reddit

7. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by Baconboy View Post
    I can't tell if Rodgers is mentioning his earlier collaboration on RAM with Daft Punk or if he's confirming that they've made new music for the record.... :/

I'm kind of craving some new content (dunno if that makes me selfish considering we technically just got Starboy and IFIC half a year ago) of some kind now that it's the beginning of summer and we aren't getting a tour.
    They're collaborating on the new album, so it will be new music. When I first heard about the new Chic album I assumed it would be based on old unreleased Chic music that they would finish up. The single they released in 2015 (I'll Be There) is basically a remix of an old song. But in this article he puts a lot of emphasis on the "writing" part so I assume the music will be mostly new. The Daft Punk collaboration will probably be something similar to Get Lucky, but who knows. It could also be sample based, if Daft Punk edits something together from old Chic recordings.

8. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by Ridley View Post
    They're collaborating on the new album, so it will be new music. When I first heard about the new Chic album I assumed it would be based on old unreleased Chic music that they would finish up. The single they released in 2015 (I'll Be There) is basically a remix of an old song. But in this article he puts a lot of emphasis on the "writing" part so I assume the music will be mostly new. The Daft Punk collaboration will probably be something similar to Get Lucky, but who knows. It could also be sample based, if Daft Punk edits something together from old Chic recordings.
    But are you pretty sure the statement in the article is referring to him writing new music with the robots for the Chic record or is he referring to previously writing "new" music on RAM ("Get Lucky")?

9. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by Baconboy View Post
    But are you pretty sure the statement in the article is referring to him writing new music with the robots for the Chic record or is he referring to previously writing "new" music on RAM ("Get Lucky")?
    The statement in this new article by itself is a bit vague but from the context in the rest of the article we have to assume he's name dropping the collaborators on his new album:

“I don’t want the album to be just a tribute to Chic. I still continued to grow and kept writing new music. Thank God I met people like Avicii, Lady Gaga, Daft Punk and Pharrell and we all keep writing music”

Here's a newer article from July this year:
    http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...lbum-daft-punk

Collaborators mentioned are: "Lady Gaga, Elton John, Miguel, Janelle MonŠe, Disclosure and Anderson.Paak, among others" and Nile says "It's very reminiscent of Daft Punk's last album that I worked on."

And here's the first mention of Daft Punk working on the Chic album:
    https://consequenceofsound.net/2013/...collaboration/

“I found in the Warner tape library, some old, unreleased Chic masters that didn’t belong to them that were in boxes that said Chic, but when you opened them up they had Johnny Mathis inside, my film scores, they had Nile Rodgers solo tracks, they had Chic tracks that were not designed for any project except for the guys working with me writing songs. So, I’m going to finish that, and this is an exclusive: Daft Punk wants to do at least one of them with me, because they respect the music, they understand.”

I hoped he would release the album at the time of the solar eclipse! That would have been a Good Time.

Just look at these visuals:

"I'll Be There" was released at the time of the solar eclipse of March 20, 2015.

10. Rep:

I just find it very fishy that Daft Punk are never once mentioned in the list of collaborators. He could have been referring to his first interaction with them. Notice how they list a bunch of people (Lady Gaga is SPECIFICALLY listed as a collaborator) and then he says the album is liked "Daft Punk's album." I doubt Daft Punk would be put in "among others." Gotta get those headlines. Imagine when it was found out Abel was working with the robots. People went nuts with news. Nile hasn't come out and said Daft Punk worked with him on the album since 2013 when he first said that Daft Punk wanted to do at least one song with him.

If they're not on this, I'd be very very disappointed as this is a chance for them to work with, quite possibly, the band that shaped their sound. Give back to Nile what he gave to them. But I have my doubts unfortunately.

11. Rep:

Maybe Nile is being intentionally secretive. I believe both Daft Punk and Nile would love to work together again, I don't think they would miss that opportunity.

At least there are some secrets about the album, Daft Punk may be one of them:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/fe...n-2017-w456692

"The Chic album – which will be accompanied by what Rodgers' blog post calls a "big surprise," though he is staying mum about ("It's pretty big," he says assuringly) – will contain 10 songs."

https://www.thespec.com/whatson-stor...ew-chic-album/

"When asked if Pharrell has lent his vocals to the record, he said with a laugh: "Maybe, Pharrell ... maybe. I think maybe is a really good answer to that question! I want to leave some surprises until the album is out.""

http://diffuser.fm/nile-rodgers-2017-interview/

"Yes, we are just working on the final song. I can’t tell you who it’s with, it’s a surprise, but it’s big. And so yes, it will definitely come out this year."

I guess we'll see, I'm hoping.

12. Rep:

Never saw those interviews. Well done! I'm hoping too, I just don't want to get too excited over the possibility and then not have it happen. I've said before that I would think the robots would be silly to not do something at least kind of big this year due to the hype and expectations people have but it seems they're defying expectations yet again lol. I just don't want to be extremely disappointed holding onto a hope they're on the record and then they turn out not to be. I've kept my expectations tame this year and we've gotten/getting collabs with Arcade Fire, Charlotte Gainsbourg/SebastiAn, The Weeknd, and Parcels. I'd love to see CHIC get added there but it's already pretty impressive how many people have released music with them on it in minor ways this year.

An additional song with CHIC (maybe even a "Get Lucky" reunion ft. Pharrell and Daft Punk) would be unbelievably big and a huge deal. I'd love to see that happen. But I'm going to keep my expectations tame.
    Last edited by Baconboy; 24th Aug 2017 at 07:02.