Tags:
help me
  1. Rep:

Best cheap way to make a helmet?

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    As I said in the title, I'm asking if anyone has the best and cheapest way to make a helmet. Like, the least materials needed, and please something that doesn't take more than a month. I need it quickly for something. I'm fine with Thomas or Guy-man.

2. Rep:

Re: Best cheap way to make a helmet?

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    As I said in the title, I'm asking if anyone has the best and cheapest way to make a helmet. Like, the least materials needed, and please something that doesn't take more than a month. I need it quickly for something. I'm fine with Thomas or Guy-man.

We can still do electronics but I'm going to explain this as if you don't.

If I had to do it within a month without electronics I'd get some card stock paper and a printer and go download the pepakura program and the pepakura file for Thomas. (Thomas always was easier to make at least to me anyways)

www.tamasoft.co.jp/pepakura-en/download/index.html

https://www.thedaftclub.com/forum/sh...ile-Collection

The ones by Dung0Beetle looks the best to me. Then I'd print it out, cut it out with a razor blade and glue it all together but glue it from the inside! Not the outside.

then take some smoothcast 300 or fiberglass and slush-cast the inside. I like smoothcast 300 better but fiberglass resin is easier and faster to get. if you go with fiberglass don't forget to get the cloth as well. if you use smoothcast 300 you don't need the fiberglass cloth and ignore this next part.

mix your fiberglass resin the way the container says and pour it inside, then slush cast it until it gets on everything inside. Let it cure and this time add the cloth in 1 at a time. and don't slush cast this time. just add some resin onto one spot then add the piece of cloth on top and then add more resin on top of it. oh yeah, the cloth is sold in a big blanket form, so you'll have to cut it into smaller pieces before adding it.

Be careful though, some resin might come out through small holes in the beginning! After doing that about 6 or 7 times the inside is now solid and now its time to add bondo. You'd probably want to get at least 2 pints of it at your local walmart or hardware store.

Apply it as directed, there are many youtube videos on it if you don't know how to yet. Then apply it evenly. Be sure NOT TO LEAVE MOUNTAINS OF IT THERE. Make sure you put even flat coats on or else your gonna regret it aha.

After doing that a bunch of times get an electric sander and some 60 grit sandpaper for it. and sand away until the majority of the shape is the way you want. You'll need some small files for the mouth and vents though.

Then you have to sand the rest by hand or add bondo into areas that got sanded too deep. make sure you mark them with a sharpie so when you go to bondo you already know where to add it.

After that sand it with 400 grit until it all looks super smooth.

Then prime it with a PRIMER not a paint lol you can get these at your local walmart or hardware store as well. spray the helmet evenly not too thick and let dry. come back later and I'm sure you will find very small holes or micro valleys that are too small to use the bondo for. Get some bondo glazing spot putty:

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/006...806829e33.jpeg

Put some gloves on and put it onto your finger, then swipe across the areas that have the tiny holes or valleys. FIRST SAND THE AREA YOUR GOING TO APPLY IT AT OR ELSE IT WILL JUST EAT THE PRIMER AND IT WONT STICK. let it dry and lightly wet sand with 400 grit (Any step that contains 400 grit or higher in it must be wet sanded!)

Prime it all again and if all the micro holes and valley are filled sand it with 800 grit until its super smooth and that completes the "making" part of it. most people would make a mold right after but if its really that urgent cut out the visor and mouth/vent areas and get measurements for the visor.

Get you some petg plastic and draw on the plastic with a sharpie the shape you want. search ".30 petg plastic" on ebay and it'll will show you the right kind to get. Cut it out with a razor and fit/glue it in.

if you want to make a mold of it or need to get some electronics in asap let me know.

You can do the entire helmet in about a week if you work full time on it.

~Devin~
    Last edited by BGReplicas; 19th Jun 2017 at 01:10.

3. Rep:

Thanks dude

4. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Thanks dude
    No prob, but if you do go through with it post some pics!