Tags:
jeezy,
muchat,
whank
  1. Rep:
    Question

RIP SoundCloud

Remove this ad: become a supporter

"After 10 years and raising well over $200 million, SoundCloud has failed to build a sustainable business off “the YouTube of music.” Trimming the fat hasn’t necessarily made it fit.
    The fate of the world’s biggest collection of bedroom remixes, garage recordings, living room podcasts, basement DJ sets and all other manner of home-made sound is at stake. The death of SoundCloud would be a sad blow to the independent musicians who are scraping by as it is. And the sale to an exploitative corporation that sees music as at best a side hustle and at worst a loss leader could ruin this canvas for sonic creation."

Read More: https://techcrunch.com/2017/07/12/soundshroud/

What are your thoughts on this? Personally I've always found SoundCloud to be a clumsy at best, shocking at worst music hosting site. If its death means 10 new sites rise from the ashes which do similar things but with better quality sound, less crowded interfaces and so on.. I would not mind. Those with larger stakes in SoundCloud who have spent years gathering followers may have other ideas, understandably, but if you're a professional musician your listeners are going to follow you regardless of the free platform you pick.

Wee Waa
    Random Access Memories - Worldwide Album Launch

2. Rep:

Re: RIP SoundCloud

well rip soundcloud. Im practically through with it considering all the bullcrap I went through the last 7 months. I kinda figured it was going under after my last incident with it. They shouldnt be monopolizing off of "paying for increased positing limits"
    When You're Listening to Alive 1997 on your stereo with the bass boosted

3. Rep:

I've read conflicting articles on this subject over the past 24 hours. Some citing the layoffs and intel saying they'll barely make it to Q4, and some containing statements from SoundCloud reps who say the TechCrunch article is an exaggeration stemming from recent layoffs at the company. But I've had little time to fully research everything, so.

I'm on the side of "this is probably a rumor" but let's say that SoundCloud does cease soon. I think it would be a bit disappointing. Even though audio quality is torrid after uploads and they keep trying to shove the Premium Go service down our throats, I always appreciated SoundCloud for its relative ease of access to the average joe, both on the artist's side and listener's side. In my area I have several friends in the music scene, mainly in the chill-hop genre, who got the small foundation of a following through SoundCloud. Sucks considering we all barely got the ball rolling on this site, but if anything we still have bandcamp.
    Quote Originally Posted by axelF View Post
    I let the rubberband do the magic.

4. Rep:

There's been some recent developments to this story involving Chance the Rapper but nothing is really clear, yet.

Wee Waa

5. Rep:

RIPPPP

The place where i first started uploading music :'(
    But this is what happens when you with your customer base...
    Thomas Bangalter on EDM - "Maybe it's just one guy called Eric David Morris."
    http://www.facebook.com/davidboin95
    https://soundcloud.com/fundave

6. Rep:

A new post from SoundCloud's CEO:

'SoundCloud is here to stay.
    Hey everyone,

There’s an insane amount of noise about SoundCloud in the world right now. And it’s just that, noise. The music you love on SoundCloud isn’t going away, the music you shared or uploaded isn’t going away, because SoundCloud is not going away. Not in 50 days, not in 80 days or anytime in the foreseeable future. Your music is safe.

Along with each of you, we’ve built this incredible creative community of artists, podcasters, DJs, producers and more who are the driving force in pushing culture forward in the world. That’s not going to change. Last week we had to make some tough decisions to let go of some of our staff, but we did this to ensure SoundCloud remains a strong, independent company.

Thank you for the outpouring of love and support. Some of you have asked how you can help–spread the word that we’re not going anywhere and keep doing what you’re doing–creating, listening, uploading, sharing, liking, and discovering what’s new, now and next in music. SoundCloud is here to stay.

Peace,
    Alex'

https://blog.soundcloud.com/2017/07/...-here-to-stay/

Wee Waa

7. Rep:

now the new question is when will they stop trying to monopolize off the S.C. go+ bull?
    When You're Listening to Alive 1997 on your stereo with the bass boosted

8. Mod - AND ALL THAT JAZZ.
    Rep:

i fully expect apple or spotify to buy it out sometime in the future. it would be a very practical step.

9. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by M3311 View Post
    i fully expect apple or spotify to buy it out sometime in the future. it would be a very practical step.
    That would be cool if either of those players bought it. Probably Spotify more likely. If it meant Soundcloud sat inside the Spotify interface and music streamed at Soundcloud quality that would be very cool.

Wee Waa

10. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by something awesome View Post
    That would be cool if either of those players bought it. Probably Spotify more likely. If it meant Soundcloud sat inside the Spotify interface and music streamed at Soundcloud quality that would be very cool.
    I thought you had a vendetta against SC's audio lol. It's not good at all. Did you mean at Spotify's quality?
    Thomas Bangalter on EDM - "Maybe it's just one guy called Eric David Morris."
    http://www.facebook.com/davidboin95
    https://soundcloud.com/fundave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast