1. Rep:

My Guy Manuel Helmet & Gloves Build

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    Hey all!

So I decided to join the exclusive club of those who have their own Daft Punk outfits! And here is where I will post up my progress for posterity sake.

So for me personally I have always loved the Thomas helmet more out of the 2 but seeing as my body build is more like that of Guy Manuel I decided to go the Guy Man direction at first, and now the Guy Man helmet has really grown on me. Someday I hope to have both helmets but that will be down the road.

So as I began my investigation of how I would acquire a helmet one of my favorite videos I found was this one on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkJCBzo_mE4

I planned on going the same route as the kid in that video by buying a raw cast helmet and having it chromed. So I found the seller on eBay that he used and then I contacted him personally to see what company he used for the chroming so that way I could discover the full cost of the helmet + the chrome job. The same guy from the YouTube video is actually also on Instagram as "replicosplay" in case you wanted to follow him and see some sweet photos he has posted of his helmets.

Anyways, the chrome shop he used is called the Chrome Factory and is in Las Vegas. After contacting them to see the cost of chroming a helmet I actually discovered they had their own Guy Man helmet in their showroom on display. Lucky for me though they were moving locations and in their new place they wouldn't have a show room so they were looking to sell the helmet. Therefore I was able to pick up their helmet for only the price of the chrome job!

The helmet I got is an older version of a Moguai Props helmet. The helmet is not perfect but to a random passerby they would never be able to see the flaws. Here are some photos of it!

When I first acquired it was super dusty!

After a good cleaning though it was looking nice and fresh.

Some of the changes to the helmet I had to make included removing the visor and then redoing the adhesive since the previous job was shoddy and the gap between the helmet and visor was gross. I wish I could get a nice new visor for it since Moguai sells them but I guess the newer helmets/visors he makes are a slightly different size than this older one I have. Bummer.

Another thing I did to the helmet was adding foam padding to the inside since without it the helmet was like a bobble head but now it actually wears correctly on the head and moves with your head's movements.

The next part of the process I went through is the gloves. I will post up photos of my progress here but I went through Artyom Props (an eBay seller) to get a glove kit. Artyom was the company mentioned in that YouTube video I linked earlier. If you purchase a helmet from him the glove kit is included free but I just bought the glove kit since I already had the helmet.

It came as a single sheet of plastic that I then cut into pieces with scissors, used a Dremel cutting tool to get it close to perfect shape, and then a Dremel grinding tool to do the rest.

After that I made a tree out of hot glue and clothing hangers so that way I could ship the glove pieces to get gold chromed at the Chrome Factory LV, the place I got the helmet from.

More to come soon!
    Last edited by Daft Cruiser; 27th Aug 2017 at 17:33.
    Daft Punk Aspiring Megafan

"It's not about getting it done, it's about doin' it right"

2. Rep:

Re: My Guy Manuel Helmet & Gloves Build

Quote Originally Posted by Daft Cruiser View Post
    I wish I could get a nice new visor for it since Moguai sells them but I guess the newer helmets/visors he makes are a slightly different size than this older one I have. Bummer.
    My visors fit this RAMV2 helmet you have here.

3. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by Beastman View Post
    My visors fit this RAMV2 helmet you have here.
    I will have to contact you someday when I have some extra $$$ so I can get that upgraded.

How do you recommend securing the visor on the inside of the helmet?

4. Rep:

Glue/Magnets.

5. Rep:

Quote Originally Posted by Beastman View Post
    Glue/Magnets.
    Wow that is a great idea! Thanks!

And what about the glove pieces? How do you recommend attaching those to the fabric of a glove?

6. 🔥 TDC Janitor 🔥
    Rep:

Only just saw this now.. How good is that helmet? Wow. What a spectacular chrome job. The visor and mould overall looks so good!

Wee Waa
    Random Access Memories - Worldwide Album Launch

7. Rep:

TK9336 recommends gluing to a piece of like 3mm foam using contact adhesive, then gluing that to the fabric of the glove.

8. Rep:

I have invented a great way to attach glove plates without any messy adhesives. I showed TK9336 in person and he was pretty impressed. It also allows them to be removable so the gloves can be washed. As soon as I find a way to share photo's since photobucket won't work anymore I will make a new thread describing the process in detail with pictures and videos.

9. Rep:

I've never made a glove set, but would velcro work?
    I imagine putting the soft side onto the gloves, and adding a couple stitches to it.
    Then put the plastic, rough side, onto the pieces.
    Last edited by Sandisk1duo; 16th Sep 2017 at 01:56.
    Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexPlusLEDs
    LED kits for sale: http://alexplusleds.com/

10. Rep:

Just mentioning photobucket, I came across this chrome extension being posted on the rpf:
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...fegnfnflicjjgj

could be pretty handy! I know there's a firefox version, also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast