1. Rep:

Starting a club at my school.

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    EDM Club at RIT = Electronic Dance Music Club. Basically, a club for electronic music lovers at our campus. Basically, it's for the DJs here to get the word out about their stuff, and host events, and for people to show others what they like to listen to and just chillout I suppose. I was wondering if you guys had any ideas on how to get the word out to the general population here, and what you think an electronic music club should do.

Feel free to say whatever you like.

2. Rep:

From being in a band I can tell ya it is a nightmare not to promote what you're doing, but to get people off their asses and away from the TV/internet/whatever.

A couple of things are always worth doing - MySpace or Facebook pages are easy and free - do a search for people in your area and add them. Find profiles of similar artists and clubs and add them too - and don't forget to post comments on their pages - thats where most people will see who/what you are.

Hit relevant chat rooms.

And sampler CD's (home burnt is fine) which need to be free - most of them will end up as frisbees but don't be put off by that - every now and then they will end up in the hands of someone who will be genuinely interested. Take them to gigs, hand them out - keep some on you cos if you see someone wearing certain t shirts (for example Daft) you know they may be interested in what you're doing.

Speak to local radio as well - most stations will happily give you a mention - that pretty much goes hand in hand with the chat room comment above.

And good luck mate.

3. Rep:

First of all you need Flyers, it´s a cheap nice piece of graphics design with the name of the club (logo) place and hours...
    You just put them in public places,
    2) Posters, pate them in the streets, corners, and inside some public buildings, of course, your school and in other schools too
    3)a web site, obvious, just a promotional one, just a contact link and news, history of the club, Dj´s and perpouse of your enterprice.
    4) spread the word, mailing lists, phone calls and those stuff

5) Ina major efford to make you jnown in town you should spend some money in radio advertaisment, tv commercials.

6) the ultimate promotional tool: T-shirts, hats, wrist rings, everithing you can put on your enterprice name, even cars (stickers.
    You can sell them or give them for free.

But. If you want anything of this works, you need good graphics, if people see it´s ugly, they wont come...

I hope this work someway for you, if you need a Dj tell me I know a cool one from Chicago ^___^

4. Rep:

Remember, this is a college club, and we are poor college kids. And we want other people from RIT, not from around the city. We have a facebook group already, and RIT does have it's own radio station and I think one of the leaders of EDM is a DJ on the station, so I'll have him give us some props. We definitely need a website. We've talked about CDs already, I love that idea. Swag would be sweet, I might hit up cafepress for that.

5. mama p -- admin
    Rep:

for a school club, i think some of those suggestions are a little over the top, but if you can afford it, go ahead and try it.

from my experiences as an officer in our Japanese club, basically get word out. if there are any other similar groups or even classes or something,talk to the people in charge of those groups to help spread the word. mass emails work somewhat. (but this is mostly for people once they decide to join; we send out emails about upcoming meetings/events.) flyers are good, but don't overdo them. what also works pretty well is a facebook group or event.

i think bladez suggestion of talking to the university radio station (i'm assuming you have one) would be a great idea.

as for what to do, we usually have welcome back parties at the beginning of each semester, just to let people hang out and get to know each other, and a farewell party at the end of the spring semester. for the meetings in between, you can try things you might like to do, or ask other members for suggestions. just kind of go with the flow, i guess. also, try to pick a meeting time that most people can make it to, sometimes it gets hard if people have to work, or have night classes, etc.
    ~僕は素晴らしいロボット~

11.11.2006・ALIVE・2007.08.09
    last.fm||tumblr

6. Rep:

well, I did say we have a university radio station. lol.

the parties sounds like a good idea.... hurm.

7. Rep:

Hey! Then I´ll give you the ultimate work list
    Theese are the things you ahve to do first our in the morning:

1) Wash your tooths
    2) Have a Bath...
    3) Get dressed
    4) Breakfast

Then you will be prepared to do teh next few things:
    In order of "what to do first"

1.- Talk to the radio station guy, "How can I do to ahve an all day rotation advertaisment? you know this from the college people for the college people"

2.- Get someone from a Design Carrer to Design your cool cheep one colour flyers for free (he/she will be happy to help).

3.- Ask your friends for a few bucks to print the flyers. They will cost you arround 50/100Dollaras, depending in how many you print.

4.- Now you are litlle bit relaxed, you did well, some new people will attempt to your club. But is not enough...
    Talk to a friend, ask someone with contacts (maybe the design guy) to make a website

5.- Ask the printer when do the flyers will be ready.

6.- Talk to the Dj friend of yours to make a short add about/for the Club so the Radio Station guy starts playing it up every 30 minutes...

7.- As you talk to the design guy ask him if it would be possible to make a poster of the club...paste them, just a few, no more than 25...

I hope you find this list usefull ^__________^

8. Rep:

Hahaha... hurm, interesting. Well I do think I should mention I am in a New Media major and made the logo for EDM and was planning on making the posters, and my roommate can make websites really well. And I believe printing is cheaper for my major, at all the good spots. I don't think they'd cost $50-$100, and if so, I might step back on that idea for a bit.

9. Rep:

[quote1200598172=Rooster128]
    Hahaha... hurm, interesting. Well I do think I should mention I am in a New Media major and made the logo for EDM and was planning on making the posters, and my roommate can make websites really well. And I believe printing is cheaper for my major, at all the good spots. I don't think they'd cost $50-$100, and if so, I might step back on that idea for a bit.
    [/quote1200598172]

Dont you ahve 50 or 100 friends? 1 dollar each and youa re on your way!
    HAHAHA

I cannot tell you about how much will you spend because I dont live there... I dont work there, and I dont even know where is "there".. so find out yoursef...
    The only thing you need is time and will to do it...
    So stop being so engative, get your ass out that stinky chair and start the move...
    ;+)

10. Rep:

negative? wtf? :P

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast