1. Rep:

A suggestion/complaint about the forum.

Remove this ad: become a supporter
    Lately, with a whole boat load of new members flowing in, I think there should be rules or guidelines that everyone should adhere to. The main reason why I'm bringing this up is because there is a handful of new members whose forum etiquette makes me cringe.

I'm specifically speaking about language. When I read things anywhere, I expect to be able to understand them. There are times when I look at a thread and my head just explodes because there's so many misspelled words that anyone with a 5th grade education should be able to spell. Ex: Could is not spelled "cud". To be quite honest, I feel like I'm losing brain cells each time I read a post like that. Not everyone has the greatest grammar or spelling skills, but come on, speak properly!!

I know there are a few people who don't have English as their second language, but any intelligent person can tell the difference between someone who knows English very well and someone who doesn't.

What I'm asking is that we should have a small list of guidelines that include not spamming threads, or creating spammy threads, using correct grammar/spelling (for those who don't compute this new language these kids who learned how to surf the internet before they could ride a bike), not quoting every freaking post within a post, within a post... and... any other thing any member has a problem with.

The community is getting bigger and bigger by the day and to see it being drowned in massive, useless, incoherent jibber-jabber would be disappointing to see.

Thanks to those who took their time in reading my rant and double thanks for those who care!

2. Rep:

i think that people should do a search through the forums before they start a new forum so we don't end up with 5 threads talking about the same thing

>_>

3. Rep:

Well said Supa, I made a comment about the language issue myself months ago, I think the main problem is the fact that monitoring posts is getting tougher day by day, and finding the right way to edit a post (if it has a problem) is another issue.

And yeah DaBatman, the repeated threads issue was brought up a while ago, along with the problem of reviving old/dead threads for no good reason.

4. Rep:

[quote1202176876=DaBatman01]
    i think that people should do a search through the forums before they start a new forum so we don't end up with 5 threads talking about the same thing

>_>
    [/quote1202176876]

Sorry, I didn't see any topic about this issue in this section of the forum, where I thought it would be most appropriate to be located. And, if I did decide to do a more thorough search and found the topic, I wouldn't have revived it. I apologize to you and anyone else who was so inconvenienced by reading this again.

I know there's a lack of mod-age around here, but maybe just having a locked sticky stating what we would like to see everyone do, newcomers would listen and follow the rules out of respect for the community.

I really don't care if this happens, we all have better things to do, but I think it would make the atmosphere of the forums nicer. I'll just ignore those areas of the forum.

5. mama p -- admin
    Rep:

welcome to the internet.

as much as i agree with you, it's something that there's really no way to reliably enforce. (i wrote an argumentative English paper on the subject from your view once. looking back, i think it's much more work than it's worth.) as much as i want to go through and correct people's misspelling/grammar mistakes (i have been tempted before... lol) that's just way too much work, you know?

i think really the best way to go about it is just to mention it to the repeat offenders/members who are typing illegibly. (or just make a mental note to ignore their posts from then on.) we broke TOCKYN of his CAPSLOCKIN' (hahah, couldn't resist the rhyme), didn't we? lol

and i think DaBatman was just bringing up another thing that we should be more vigilant about. (not saying that your thread is a repeat; to my knowledge, it's not.) the amount of old topics coming up again has been quite high recently, it's a bit of a pain...

but in general, i agree in the sentiment that it might be a good idea to have a typed up general etiquette for the forum, because maybe some people aren't aware of the things they're doing that make them look stupid.
    ~僕は素晴らしいロボット~

11.11.2006・ALIVE・2007.08.09
    last.fm||tumblr

6. Rep:

The lack of moddage is pretty much my fault at the moment, I'm sorry.
    Grammar and spelling wise I think the best option is to just gently pm people who are purposely breaking the laws of english (I make it sound like a crime). I'm all for a no txt tlk rule if we could impose it though.

As for trying to not repeat threads, I'm fairly compassionate. Not everyone is lucky enough to have been here from near the start.

So to anyone who reads this thread: NO TXT TLK!!

7. Rep:

I think everyone knows that you have far better things to do than mod a forum! Apparently, all the busiest (and best) members were made into mods.

I had the same idea in mind, PMing the Txt talkers, but I felt like that I would be stepping boundaries because I'm not a mod, even if I asked nicely. (And believe me, I'm not one to be rude to someone I don't know unless they were rude to me first.)

8. mama p -- admin
    Rep:

[quote1202232449=SupaJooCGoomE]
    I think everyone knows that you have far better things to do than mod a forum! Apparently, all the busiest (and best) members were made into mods.

I had the same idea in mind, PMing the Txt talkers, but I felt like that I would be stepping boundaries because I'm not a mod, even if I asked nicely. (And believe me, I'm not one to be rude to someone I don't know unless they were rude to me first.)
    [/quote1202232449]nope, i think that's the right way to go.

i mean, it's obviously pushing the boundaries if you get all up in someone's bisnz for a typo or if they've stated they don't know English well, but gentle reminders (either via PM or in the thread itself) are okay for the repeat offenders. i'm assuming you're not going to start a flame war or anything over grammar. lol
    ~僕は素晴らしいロボット~

11.11.2006・ALIVE・2007.08.09
    last.fm||tumblr

9. Rep:

[quote1202257841=SupaJooCGoomE]
    I had the same idea in mind, PMing the Txt talkers, but I felt like that I would be stepping boundaries because I'm not a mod, even if I asked nicely.
    [/quote1202257841]
    You're allowed to PM! As long as they don't then complain of harrasment or something.. but I did it before I was mod, and got away with it lol, so no worries.
    And thanks for calling me a good mod, more incentive to go on here when I have time, let's face it my other free time priorities are much more selfish
    (l) to thedaftclub

10. Rep:

Just a quick note, thought it was best to post it here.

The Kanye/DP performance video has been removed by Youtube, and all other videos uploaded on the site featuring the performance apparently, just thought I'd let you guys know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast